Friday, August 29, 2014

Reason #27 to Live Nebulously

I can admit my objection to this might be driven more by irrational fear than a well-thought out indictment. Something like this could really benefit people living in isolated areas. But on the other hand, people have been living in isolated areas for thousands of years and doing just fine, and the stripping down of humanity, the perpetuation of the increasingly LESS interpersonal lives we've started leading in just the last twenty, is present and impossible to ignore, at least for me. I just don't want to interact with machines any more than I already do, and I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't, even if I lived out in the boonies (living nebulously, ironically enough...;-). I'd crave a chat with the delivery guy, or the mail person, even just once or twice a month, and would find it disheartening - to say the very least - to watch a drone hover over my yard and drop supplies down to me, to sign for it with my friggin' thumb print, then watch it disappear past the horizon, and keep watching long after I could no longer hear it.

What's more, as is usually the case with drone technology in the private sector, there are privacy issues at play here. And though it is true that I use several of the company's numerous products on a daily basis - from Gmail to Google Chrome to Google Earth to Google Keep...to this very blog site, come to think of it - it seems like Google has so many fingers in everything, so many irons in the fire, before long it could grow into something much larger than a mere 'company'...

That is, if it hasn't already started to happen.  It would seem Google is well on its way to becoming the 21st century's first major monopoly, only with far more power and influence over - and knowledge of - our daily lives than Ma Bell could ever have imagined.


CLICK: Google drones tested in Queensland