Friday, March 27, 2015

The NEXT Top 100 (or so) Songs I Absolutely Must Have With Me on 1/48/50 (cont...)

#150) "Where the Green Grass Grows" by Tim McGraw - Someday...someday...when all my battles have been fought, all my goals met, plans carried out, all the 1/48/50's driven at least twice, when the gray now merely peppering my five o' clock shadow has come to define my look, this is how I'd like to have things play out.

And I like any song that throws direction into the mix.  Point our rocking chairs toward the west, indeed...

"I don't know who my neighbors are, and there's bars on the corner and bars on my heart..."

#151) "Cant Get There From Here" by R.E.M - Years before their mainstream success sort of turned them into mush, R.E.M was a cutting edge band struggling to survive but achieving legend status through relentless touring. Can't Get There From Here is for my money the best example of the band's pre-success greatness. Fun and savvy, it's almost hard to believe this is an R.E.M song. No offense, but when it comes to R.E.M, I was left, through no fault of my own, sometime in the early 1990s at the height of their popularity, with the indelible image of Michael Stipe crawling into a pile of stuffed animals and assuming the fetal position to sing Everybody Hurts.

After that, word is they got back to their roots and stayed there until disbanding in 2011. Sadly, by then I had stopped listening.

But Cant Get There From Here just kills it...kills it dead. I was 12 years old when this song came out, and felt pretty hip grooving to it.

I wasn't...but I felt it.  Still do.  Even though I'm still not.  ;)

"When the world is a monster, bad to swallow you whole..."