Friday, December 29, 2017

Yet ANOTHER Top 100 (or so) Songs I Absolutely Must Have With Me on 1/48/50

#284)  "Journey to the Center of the Mind" by The Amboy Dukes - On one hand, it's difficult to associate Ted Nugent - Mr. Anti-Liberal/Anti-Drug/Good Hunting Uber 'Merican - with a song I've always associated with hippies and their chemically expanded minds (or at least nerdy kids LARP-ing rather than hunting and fishing). 'Twas the times, I guess, the late 1960s, Summer of Love, etc. What else could a young Nuge do but dress like Sgt. Pepper and  participate if he wanted to get anywhere, get anyone to take notice?

On the other hand, I've never been one for pointing fingers when it comes to music. At the end of the day, songs are about whatever the listener wants them to be about. That's the artistic process at work, really. "Journey to the Center of the Mind" need not be about drugs any more than John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" (which isn't...), and I truly don't care if it is or not. My point is that musically speaking, as early as this song came in his career, it still has Nugent's fingerprints are all over it, which is what I like about it. He was still a good decade away from swinging across the stage in a loin cloth, but you can tell by the body language of the blistering guitar licks heard here, that the Motor City Madman, as we would come to know, love and hate him, was already present.



"Beyond the seas of thought, beyond the realm of what / Across the streams of hopes and dreams where things are really not..."


#285) "Sweet Young Thing" by The Chocolate Watchband - I don't know what else to say about this song other than sometimes sexy is just sexy. It always makes me sort of wish I had come of age in the 60s. I can think of no better soundtrack to being that age, discovering all that I could as fast as I could, than this song, and this kind of music.

I had hair metal to treat my acne, and it was just not the same.

"Hey sweet young thing, come on an open your door..."