Friday, February 2, 2018

Yet ANOTHER Top 100 (or so) Songs I Absolutely Must Have With Me on 1/48/50

#292) "Faithfully" by Journey - This is definitely a song I didn't appreciate growing up. I never disliked it, but never really noticed it either. (Heard it, but didn't listen, if you will.) It was just another flick-your-lighter-and-wave-it-back-and-forth stadium anthem populating the airwaves around the time I was in Little League and my brother got his driver's license. Later, for a short while, it was the "Oh Sherrie" guy's other song...because Journey never really made an impression on me either, although I do remember playing the Journey video game on my Atari 2600 (where the groupies were giant hearts with legs...lol), just didn't really know who the band was.

I think it's safe to say "Faithfully" has taken its place among the greatest power ballads ever, but it's also proven to be like good wine. Time passes, and in the new burgeoning historical context of songs that once were just radio friendly hits, it ripens, deepens and opens up. There's a richness to it that has claimed real estate in my mind beyond just a power ballad. Elegant and eloquent, at times musically stunning, it speaks to everyone's longing and devotion, for whatever or whomever, that must bear the onslaught of not just physical distance, but years becoming decades, decades becoming a lifetime.

"Through space and time..." indeed.

"Two strangers learn to fall in love again / I get the joy of rediscovering you..."

#293) "Long, Long Time" by Linda Ronstadt - I like the song too, one of those early 70s ditties that drizzled out of my parents radio in their bookstore when I was four, but it's really all about the voice. Here you have a lovely woman singing a lovely song with a perfectly blended command of control, pitch and power. Ronstadt's voice was an instrument, as opposed to a weapon, which is an approach too many otherwise talented female singers get distracted by these days - the need to bellow and explode. Ronstadt just sang. Pitch perfect.




"And I think it's gonna hurt me for a long, long time..."