Friday, November 22, 2013

Reason #17 to Live Nebulously: Black Thursday...??

Seriously? Can't we have a break from the noise?  A one-day reprieve from the vigilant consumerism that permeates our lives year-round, but really gets ramped up this time of year in an effort to safeguard what we have come to believe constitutes a 'happy' holiday season?

I say this not because I'm above it all, but because I am as susceptible as anyone.  I can't say I've ever (or would ever) stand huddled in the pre-dawn darkness in front of a Best Buy on Friday morning to save $50, but would I hoist myself up at 8 p.m. Thursday night after consuming six pounds of turkey? I might; I just might.

I don't appreciate feeling like I should, feeling as though if I don't, I'm missing out on something important. I don't think it should be an option. Opening the doors to the absurd spectacle (sometimes outright freak show) that is 'Black Friday' on Thanksgiving night is not only exploiting both consumer and worker, it is the very antithesis of what the holiday should be about and needs to remain: quiet, reflective, small and insular, everything closed, with the exception of a convenience store or two, for travelers, or in case someone forgot the stuffing. A breather from the other 364 days to appreciate everything in our lives that money can't buy.  Just one day. We can handle one day without the noise, can't we?

Just one day?