Friday, March 24, 2017

Yet ANOTHER Top 100 (or so) Songs I Absolutely Must Have With Me on 1/48/50

#236) "Lotta Love" by Nicolette Larson - If you're hell bent on doing a cover version, here's a reliable recipe sure to please the whole family (er, well....you know...): take a Neil Young melody and infuse it with a mid-tempo country/disco (ish) rhythm, throw in a wispy 70s string section, pair it with a young woman's simple (but for this, compelling) vocal, and et voila! - an intriguingly more tense interpretation of an already beautifully somber song, with a depth and breadth that outshines the original.

I like Neil Young, but his version, recorded about the same time for the album Comes a Time, is actually kind of clunky and plunky. Once again, it is revealed here that, yes Virginia, there are good cover versions.

"It's gonna take a lotta love to change the way things are..."

#237) "Sea of Love" by The Honeydrippers - This version of the 1959 Phil Philips song was released in '85, but it wasn't until much later (early 90s at least) that it occurred to me that the leader of The Honeydrippers is Robert Plant, the wailing voice behind Led Zeppelin's finest moments.

Of the video that accompanied "Sea of Love", I remember only three things: 1) someone riding a horse through the water, 2) some dude playing the xylophone in his underwear, 3) perhaps not surprisingly, Robert Plant failing to convince me that he actually wants to be in the video.

In spite of that, I think the song is fantastic. Sometimes certain pieces of music work so well, they gel into something else, something flawless. I can't say it's my favorite song of all time, but "Sea of Love" nevertheless has the notable distinction of pretty much being exactly how I would prefer (were I given the choice) all my afternoons and evenings on this Earth sound.

And actually, upon further review, I have decided the video is pretty awesome. ;-)


"Come with me, my love, to the sea, the sea of love / I wanna tell you, just how much, I love you..."