Friday, August 11, 2017

Mini-road trip in the works to fully enjoy the "Great American Eclipse"...

So, for a variety of reasons, most of which have to do with money, some of which have to do with laziness, I simply wasn't able to make 1/48/50 happen this summer. I guess I never really thought I'd be able to (damn it, I have to start planning seriously at some point...), but I imagined it would be nice to be out and fully nebulous for the "Great American Eclipse", which will happen just over a week from now, August 21, when the moon passes in front of the sun directly over the continental United States for the first time in 38 years.

It's too bad 1/48/50 couldn't happen, but I'm taking a drive nevertheless. The eclipse will be partially visible where I live, but I'm seeking out the "path of totality", which, yes, sounds like the title of some prog band's concept album, but is actually the narrow strip of the moon's shadow (or umbra) that will create complete darkness for a few spell-binding minutes.

It wasn't easy to find a hotel room. All along that path of totality (which traverses 11 states, from Oregon to South Carolina), hotels, resorts, inns and B&B's have been booked solid for months, but I was lucky to find a place right near the Nebraska/Kansas border, and for a low rate too.

Of course, I'm hoping "low rate" doesn't come with complementary fleas and bed bugs. :-/

Weather also is a potential problem. The area I'm driving to isn't known for long stretches of cloudy days this time of year, but it is known for thunderstorms. The eclipse starts around 11 a.m., with totality taking place at 1:00 p.m., hopefully before any storms start popping off.

Right now the forecast for the town I'm staying in on August 21: "Clear, high of 88, low of 60." I'm sure hoping that holds.



50/50 - Map showing probability of clear skies on August 21, 2017, during the "Great American Eclipse". My search for the "path of totality" will bring me down to the Nebraska/Kansas/Missouri region, where, judging by the map key, there seems to be a fifty/fifty chance of cloudy skies raining on the moon's parade.  Image: Joshua Stevens/NASA

But hey, whatever happens - fleas, bedbugs or inclement weather - no regrets. Truth is, I'll drive wherever I have to for clear skies, and sleep in my car if need be.

I've more or less been planning this road trip for 38 years.