Friday, March 15, 2019

One More (?) Go Around: A Hundred Songs I Absolutely Must Have With Me on 1/48/50

#378) "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" by The Hollies - I'm thinking I might have to declare this the greatest song ever recorded. Well, okay, I don't have to, but I guess I really want to. Every time I listen to it, it makes me want to. 

I've been blabbing in this space for years now. A lot of good music has been blabbed about, a lot of similar declarations about musical magnificence made, but when it comes to urgent, excitable ballads, songs with a message, and in terms of overall musicality, there's nothing about this 1969 single I would do any different.

From the first squealing (and evocatively off-tune) harmonica wail, to the melted drizzle of the chords, to singer Allan Clarke's vocals (seeming to match the harmonica), the blue sky harmonies and that cirrus cloud-style orchestration I love so much (very much a musical memento that makes a lot of soft music from the 1960s and early 70s great in my opinion), right down to the message of the song itself (the lovely story of its inspiration dating back to a young Scottish girl in the nineteenth century), "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" performs like lace curtains; it covers the window, obscures sight of the ugliness outside just enough to bring relief, without ever preventing sunlight from streaming in. This is one of those rare songs that simultaneously fills my heart with joy and sorrow.

"The road is long, with many a winding turn / That leads us to who knows where, who knows where ..."

 #379) "Got You (Where I Want You)" by The Flys - Not the greatest song ever recorded, necessarily, but a sturdy jam cut from a very specific time in my life (and doubtless the lives of many Gen X'ers ... a crossroads, for sure), this weirdly ideal driving song (perfect for 1/48/50) has aged well, never sounds dated, which might be why it's a good driving song, especially if you're driving somewhere new.

And if you're driving alone, come on, try, try, try not to sing along with the chorus. ;)

"Well, I think you're smart, you sweet thing / Tell me your sign, I'm dying here ... "