Friday, May 26, 2017

Reason #44 to Live Nebulously...

Amazon Echo...and any other "smart speakers" sure to follow.

Innocuous enough on the surface, this device nevertheless contributes to the gross invasion of privacy permeating our society these days, by exploiting our desire to be connected, or more accurately, our belief that we must be, or that all this technology allows us to be.

Most disturbing, is the fact that I've been kind of curious about this. I've actually thought about getting one, lulled - by television commercials - dangerously close to the belief that "Alexa" will somehow make my life easier.

But naw...Amazon Echo doesn't bring anything new to the party. It only replicates what my phone can already do, thus is merely another opportunity to spend money needlessly. And I'm still perfectly capable of performing inane tasks myself. I don't need "Alexa" to order pizza for me.